• Nicholas Hall

Do I need a gas safety check in a rented property?

Renting a property can be tough at times, especially as a tenant, it isn’t always easy to know what you are responsible for and what your landlord is responsible for. This is usually the case when it comes to utilities. Landlords do not have to cover the cost of utilities but when it comes to gas, they are legally obligated to make sure the property and any gas appliances supplied with the property are safe.

The safety check should be carried out annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer, who will, in turn, provide your landlord with a certificate stating the property is safe, alternatively, if it isn’t the engineer will advise the landlord how to rectify and in the worst-case shut to the supply to property until the problem can be fixed. Whilst your landlord will organise these checks it is your responsibility as a tenant to provide access to the engineer at an agreed date and time.

Once your landlord has been given a Safety certificate, they should provide a copy to you within 28 days of the engineer’s attendance. You should also be issued a copy of the certificate before moving into a new rental property.

So always ask for a copy and be sure you are safe on your property.

If you found this FAQs useful, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend or sharing it on Linkedin or Facebook. Simply click the social icons below. Thank you!